How To “Talk Tape”

tape terms from thetapeworks.comAny serious discussion of adhesive-backed tape pretty quickly requires that you have a “tape vocabulary”.  There are lots of terms that have one meaning in general discussions and quite another when the subject matter is tape.

Here are a few to get you started:

  • Backing. Backing refers to the primary component of tape upon which an adhesive is applied. Examples are cloth, paper, vinyl, film etc! Substate is also a form of backing.
  • Conformability. This refers to the capability of a tape to make total contact with a surface.
  • Gapping. Openings between leaves of tape within a roll.
  • Release coating. A very thin coating applied to the tape backing to allow the tape to be unwound from a roll.
  • Telescoping. A sideways sliding of the tape layers, one over the other, so that the roll looks like a funnel.
  • Tack. The “stickiness” of the tape.
  • Creped. Paper substrate that has small “folds” to provide stretchability and conformability.
  • Double-coated, or double-faced tape. Pressure-sensitive tape with adhesive on both sides of the substrate.
  • Unwind. Removing or unwinding the tape from a roll.

Thank you, wikihow. is your source for information about the adhesive tape industry.  All the news about gaffers tape, safety tapes, duct tape, vinyl tapes and new developments in tape technology.  Share your comments and questions with us.



Tags: , ,

About the Author

Post a Reply